Sunday, January 6, 2013

What's Inspiring Me Right Now

It's the weekend and for me that means quality time with my husband and son.  It also means more time for relaxing and enjoying things like movies.  I have two recommendations for you to check out.

The first is Jiro Dreams of Sushi.  It's streaming on Netflix right now, and I highly recommend it.  A wonderful documentary about a man in Japan who is famous for making sushi.  Just that. He has a 10 seat, $300 a plate restaurant and the only thing he serves is sushi.  I felt inspired by his devotion to his craft.  A few of my favorite quotes from Jiro:
 
"Once you decide on your occupation you must immerse yourself in your work.  You have to fall in love with your work.  Never complain about your job.  You must dedicate your life to mastering your skill. That’s the secret of success.  And the key is to being regarded honorably." 
 
This sets the tone for the film and I felt such a strong connection to it.  It's easy to give up, but it's not worth it.  The reward for working hard is so much greater.  Success does not come easily.
 
"Always doing what you are told doesn’t guarantee success."

Jiro as a child behaved very badly, he grew up and changed.  When it came time to tell his two sons how to behave he had a hard time deciding what to tell them.  The quote above was his advice. 
 

"If I don’t keep working my body will become worthless"
 
So true! 
 
 
And finally, if you want to laugh your ass off go and see Django Unchained...HIL FREAKIN' LARIOUS!

3 comments:

  1. Nic,
    If you click NO COMMENTS at the very bottom of the blog, you'll see a window under the Post A Comment, that says select profile. I've tried several that don't work, cuz I'm not connected to that engine, probably.
    Now I'm trying Google Account, to see if that will work. If so, you'll get this comment. If not, I'll let you know another way ...
    XOXO
    m

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK !!!!! That worked~!!! yay on me ...

    Nicole, I love your writing style! It's so cheery, and witty and very knowing. You sound very knowlegable, both as a designer and as a writer! It's just way fun to read ... I'm enjoying every entry. Seriously!

    I did see Jiro dreams of Sushi ... LOVED it! What a truly interesting film ... also loved the sons, so different from each other ... it was a good un!

    Haven't seen Django, but probably will. Saw Rust and Bone yesterday, really powerful movie!

    I love the way you weave your own home, Sam and Hank into the blogs ... I'm seriously impressed with this little blog, missy! It's very professional, and I do admire your commitment to daily writing. How can you get more readers, I wonder ... Could you post the daily entries on facebook, people look there all day!

    Anyway, I'm so excited I figured out how to post comments. They don't make it easy for us not-so-tech-savvy folk!
    XOXOXO Keep Up the Good Work~!
    xoxo
    m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you a million times over Maggie! You are so good to me. I'm so happy to be doing this that I think it is coming through in my writing. I'm just so happy to hear this from you. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
      I keep forgeting to publish my post on my personal facebook page. I will be sure to do that. Otherwise, I have to try and figure out how to get readers...I gotta do my research...Thank you for your encouragement it helps more than you know.

      Delete