Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Style Me Vintage: Passing It On


 
Some of my very favorite pieces in my wardrobe are hand-me-downs. Being in the vintage clothing business means I have zero aversion to pre-loved things, and my favorites are items that are really infused with love! I've mentioned before that my mom saved a lot of her wardrobe and let me wear it in my own youth. There are several things that I still use and wear quite often, and I think it's noteworthy that they are the pieces mom is wearing in numerous photos I have of her. Great accessories usually stand the test of time!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This cotton scarf is a good example. It's cotton and a versatile large size, in bright primary colors with paisley. Mom used it as a hair accessory throughout my infancy, and then gave it to me for one of my early Halloween costumes (I was Gypsy several years running, isn't this scarf perfect for that!?). I have always loved it, and find myself using it on many a bad hair day! Scarves are such a fun way to accessorize, and can really pull an outfit together by matching colors to the rest of your ensemble. I usually wear them casually, with jeans and a solid colored top of some sort. There are all sorts of ways to tie them up; YouTube tutorials abound. My favorite way is just how mom wore hers though, draped over the head and tied in back.
 
 

Another favorite accessory is a pair of 1970's enamel hoop earrings. They are the perfect shade of navy blue and pair well with vintage and contemporary outfits. In the included photos of my mom, you can see she is wearing them. I updated them a bit when she gave them to me, adding a medium sized bead and new posts. Some other favorites I get a lot of mileage out of are a pair of beautiful micro mosaic earrings and both of my parents class rings. I was thrilled when my mom gave me the rings a couple of years ago, I'd been admiring them in her jewelry box for as long as I can remember.
 
  Easy to wear and style hand-me-downs... what's hiding out in your family's closets?
 
 
Christine is the co-owner of Living Threads Vintage, a vintage clothing shop in downtown Portland, OR.   Each week she brings her talent for wearing a vintage modern mix to Nicole B Vintage.
All photos by Travis and Christine Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment